Project created by Erik Witcraft
One of my absolute favorite orchid specimens is the lady slipper orchid (Paphiopedilum Goultenianum ‘Album’). A fun way to treat it with sophistication for the holiday is by creating a “containerless” vessel for it making a beautiful natural accent on your tree! This variety will last well…so long as you take it down and water it ever week or so. This is the perfect bridge between the elegance of Christmas time and the wonders of nature. Enjoy!
- 8″ Styrofoam Cone
- 1 -3″ living lady slipper orchid plant (again lime green and white)
- Hot glue gun
- Wood picks
- Sphagnum moss
- Assorted Lichen and reindeer moss
- Feathers (my came from my chickens…you can also purchase them at your local craft or wholesaler)
- Aluminum wire (I used lime green…my favorite color!)
- Bullion wire (lime also)
- Take orchid plant out of 3″ pot and set aside carefully
- Hot glue 3″ pot to larger end of styrofoam cone and anchor using wood picks through bottom of pot
- Double up a 10″ section of aluminum wire (5″ when doubled) and hot glue into small end of styrofoam cone. (This will form the elf shoe shape at the base of your cone)
- Wrap styrofoam cone, orchid pot, and bottom section of aluminum wire with sphagnum moss and attach by binding over top with bullion wire.
- Tuck lichen, feathers, and reindeer moss into cone form as desired.
- Wind aluminum wire over surface of cone. Adding swirls and curls as desired.
- Bend foot of cone into “elf shoe” shape
- Add hook of wire at back to hang
- Plant orchid back into pot and…
- Viola! A beautiful rustic woodland orchid to hang from your Branchie!