Episode 401 – Flowers Care
Today’s show is about Flower Care – how to care for them and the ways in which flowers care for you. I’ll have tips on flower longevity, improving your health through flowers, and we’ll visit with an elderberry expert and learn the benefits they can provide.
“The first wealth is health.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you care for flowers, they will care for you. There are numerous health benefits associated with gardening. Along with the benefits of gardening, the mere act of arranging flowers actually releases endorphins in the body that make you feel good. It has also been scientifically shown that even just the act of looking at an image of flowers causes stress to dissipate. Therefore, on today’s episode, we’re looking at the ways flower care for us – as well as ways to care for flowers, and extend their vase life – further enhancing their ability to promote health and well-being.
J shares his favorite tips for caring for flowers- so they provide long lasting beauty- allowing you enjoy the health and wellness benefits of flowers in your home, office or other creative spaces!
Care for Flowers, so They Can Care for You
J reviews strategies for care and handling for longer lasting flowers. Cold water, flower food, when to harvest (not in sun or heat), topping off water, where to place flower arrangements for optimizing longevity, etc.
From Pot to GardenBlooming Plants – enjoy in the container and then move to the yard/landscape/garden – Mum, Tulip, Easter Lily, etc. Review benefits of digging in the dirt – anti-depressant.
Includes Planting of a potted Begonia & Rose Bush into the Garden- and J shows you how simple it is to dig in the dirt- and add a new plant to your garden- (this works with container gardens as well… so if you don’t have a garden – fear NOT!)
Flower Food Simplified
J explains the simple ingredients in flower food packets (citric acid, sugar, chlorine), while dispelling the myths around alternatives (penny, aspirin, citrus soda). J shows you why- it so incredibly easy- to use the Packet of Flower food- and why- it makes more sense than doing abstract ‘old wives tales’ – that actually can do more harm than good… J’s the Flower Expert and he’s here to offer you the very best advice- that you can count on- and your flowers will LOVE!
Featured Flower: Matricaria
– Matricaria is a genus of flowering plants in the Chamomile tribe within the sunflower family
– The extract of Matricaria recutita (German chamomile) is taken as a strong tea. It has been used in herbal medicine as an anti-inflammatory and relief from bloating.
– It is also used in ointments and lotions, and as a mouthwash against infections of mouth and gums.
– Aromatherapy uses two essential oils of chamomile: the “true chamomile” oil (or German chamomile oil, from M. recutita) and the Roman chamomile oil (from Chamaemelum nobile).
– Chamomile tea is an herbal infusion made from dried flowers and hot water. Two types of chamomile used are German chamomile (Matricaria recutita) and Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile). Chamomile may be used as a flavoring agent in foods and beverages, mouthwash, soaps, or cosmetics.When used as an herbal product, such as in tea or as a topical skin cream, chamomile is not likely to have significant health effects or major side effects.
– Chamomile has been used over the centuries and is generally considered a safe and gentle herbal remedy that may be used daily as a calming tea.
Planting Matricaria to clean the soil – Sun Valley
Making Elderflower Elixir with GUEST Taryn Nance
J visits with Taryn Nance who has enthusiasm for integrating herbs as a healing way of life, specifically Elderberries and various product made from them including syrup, tea, and even gummies. Taryn shares these simple steps- and her expert advice for creating your own delicious elderberry syrup!
Want to learn more about Taryn and her Holistic Joy wares? Follow this Link!
Questions – can we harvest/forage with Taryn? Can Taryn show how she makes some of her offerings – syrup or gummies? J and Taryn discuss her upbringing – holistic, alternative and natural healing and how it informs her hobby-turned-business.
Visit Taryn’s Website- Holistic Joy and get your very own- Home Crafted Elderberry Products and More! https://www.holisticjoy.net/about
It’s a fun visit with J and his friend Taryn- who happens to make Elderberry Syrup…Taryn teaches J – the simple steps to create your own elderberry syrup- (OR Visit Taryn’s Website- www.HolisticJoy.net – for elderberry kits for creating your own syrup- and elderberry syrup- sugar free syrup, gummies, lotions and cremes.
J shares the following questions with Taryn- and they discuss all things flowers and elderberry… Watch the episode to find out the answer to these questions and more!
1. How did you start making Elderberry Syrup?
2. How did you develop an interest in Holistic Practices? Herbal Remedies? – I’d like to bring in your dad being a Holistic Vet – if we can … just a good side story
3. What else do you make- (Hope to talk about the Gummis, the Lotions, etc…
4. Can we forage our own Elderberries? Any hints, tips or suggestions on foraging ,where, when to find them…
5. This is your hobby- but you’re actually an Archeologist… tell me more…
I have a stock question- I would say to you… “Why did you decide to make Elderberry Syrup?- Why not be a Lawyer, or an Astronaut or Archeologist?” and then you say… actually.. hehehe
6. What’s your favorite flower?
7. What’s your first (or Favorite) Memory of Flowers?
Elderberry Cocktail(s) with GUEST Taryn Nance from Holistic Joy – (And MOCKTAIL)
J and Taryn mix cocktails using her Hand Crafted- Elderberry Syrup -
You can make your own Elderberry Syrup- or purchase from Taryn’s Website-
Visit – www.HolisticJoy.net for additional recipes- and other products Taryn hand crafts!
Elderberry Moscow Mule -
(MOCKTAIL recipe- Just Simply SKIP the Vodka- and follow the same directions! Easy- and Delicious!)
1 ½ oz. vodka (for the Mocktail- Just skip the vodka- and follow the rest of the recipe!)
½ oz. lime juice
½ cup ginger beer
1 tsp elderberry syrup
Lime wedges for garnish
In a pitcher or cocktail shaker , mix all ingredients.
Fill Copper Mugs with ICE (or can be served in Old Fashioned Glasses)… Makes 2 Copper Mug Sized Drinks!
Flowers Good for Your Health
J reviews the ways in which flowers have a positive impact on health while making an arrangement
Thanks for joining me on this journey of flower care – both caring for flowers and the care they provide us. I hope these techniques will help you not only extend the life of your flowers, but also enhance your enjoyment of life as well. For Life In Bloom, I’m J Schwanke